Anyway... on the the dress. Here are the front and back views.
For the bodice contrast, I chose a sheer fabric with polka dots. It does not make neat little pleats like the pattern was intended to do, but I like the effect. I had also ended up doing a little hand-sewing on the strap to get it to keep down at the bust line. Gertie covers the strap placement on her blog.
The main part of the dress is made from a cotton sateen. The fabric from the bodice was actually part of a border print. The edges are embroidered and I couldn't help but want to use it for the skirt. But I was torn, because I really did want to sew the pattern as written.
I made a removable over-skirt. I sewed a rolled hem on the vertical edges of the fabric, then made a button for a closure. I knew that would add volume to the skirt, but it was an effect I actually liked. Very 50's and buried-in-yards-of-fabric.
This is the dress with the over-skirt. It is a little hard to see the detail on the gather.
|Picture on pattern|
|My version with gathered over-skirt|
I am looking forward to Gertie's next patterns. I would definitely buy from her line again.