I sewed Butterick 5748, a retro pattern from 1960.
I have always drooled over the fabric in the quilting sections of the store - there is so much more choice of color and patterns than in any of the apparel sections. So I thought I would give it a try. This fabric is a cotton quilting fabric.
The pattern called for only the bodice to be lined, but I decided to line the entire dress with a cotton muslin lining since quilting fabric tends to be thinner than apparel fabric.
Overall, I am happy with the way it fits and adjusted very little of the pattern. I sewed a muslin first, then adjusted to a size smaller. I think that if you want a snug fit in the bodice, choose a size smaller than the pattern measurements indicate.
The other is that I added a quilt binding as a trim on all of the dress edges. It is probably breaking some kind of rule to use it, but I really like the effect. All of the edges are very clean, which seemed good because the cotton is thin. The edging made the dress more substantial.
I was able to use the serger to finish the edges on the zipper - which makes everything look really tidy.
I used the serger on the bottom of the lining on the inside of the dress. I like the look of it and it was so much easier than trying to hem it.
I am really happy the way it turned out and would definitely recommend the pattern.
I have now made a petticoat to wear under the dress. I even posted the tutorial. Here are the results.
|Dress without petticoat.|
|Dress with petticoat.|