- The sizing. I made a muslin and cut a size Medium. Which should have been OK according to the measurements on the pattern. But that muslin was so big that I ended up cutting an XS. I am a 12-14 in RTW.... It is waaaay off. I am not a small woman, let alone an extra small.
- The skirt was attached so high above the natural waist that wearing the dress really made me look more like Holly Hobbie. That is the same way little girls' dresses are and it looks fantastic on THEM. But if you are older than 12, it just doesn't look right.
|High waist Holly Hobbie|
- I made the lower bodice pieces two inches wider (I added one inch on top, one on the bottom) so that the skirt would attach closer to my waist.
- Added ruching/elastic to the lower bodice/waist pieces to add a little interest. I remember seeing it on a dress once and I liked it, so I gave it a whirl.
- Make the skirt a-line instead of gathered so take the bulk out
|Zig zag stitch with elastic|
|My first successful machine-zipper|