Warning: This is where I admit that I am totally winging it. I have never made anything like this, so there could be some steps in here that are not efficient, but I just plodded along hoping it all would turn out. This is less of a tutorial than a description of an experiment.
The plan: paper mache (or papier mâché, if you want to be all fancy). I ordered a styrofoam head online - they are surprisingly cheap - and used a plastic shopping bag and duct-taped it to the shape of the head. So the paper mache wouldn't stick to the styrofoam.
I put on three layers of a white flour and water paper mache with newspaper.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the base, but it is oval shaped and flat.
After that dried, I peeled off the plastic bag and got rid of it. Then, I made the part that sticks up out of card stock and taped it to the paper mache base.
I curled around the top part. It was hard to tell exactly but it looks like that is what the original looks like.
For the next layer, I used a paper mache pulp called Fast Mache. I covered the base and cardstock in a fairly thick layer.
After letting it dry for about a week, I used an electric sander to make it smooth. Next step: gold cage and fabric.
|Fast Mache on cardstock|
Sabe Costume Part 2 Vest
Sabe Costume Part 3 Headdress
Sabe Costume Part 4 Headdress
Sabe Costume Part 5 All Together Now
Post a Comment