Thursday, December 26, 2013

B5235 See & Sew Jacket

My last project of 2013 - was not successful.  Boo.  I made the jacket from See & Sew B5235.
I have only tried to make one jacket before and it was, unfortunately also less than a success.  I took the Starlet Suit Jacket class from Craftsy.  The class was less than great and so was the jacket that I never finished.  I gave up on that jacket, but here is my second try.
 The result is.... meh.  I don't like it.  It looks blocky, I think I got the sizing wrong because it is too big.  It doesn't look fitted like the photo.  Also, it is too short.  Jackets are longer now and a shorter jacket just ends up looking dated.
 I made it out of the same fabric as the fabric for the Butterick 5813 dress, thinking that I could wear them together.  But, I also should have seen that the collar on this jacket is all wrong for that dress.  I would have needed a jacket without a collar for them to work together.
 What ends up happening is that the jacket hides the only redeemable part of my figure - my waist.  It isn't a good look for me.
The bright side: 
I made a jacket and it wasn't a total success, but it certainly wasn't a disaster.  This might work for someone, but it definitely doesn't work for me or for this dress, but I was still happy with the way the lining and facing looked together.  It was good practice for the next jacket that I try.
Inside of jacket
I probably won't keep this jacket, but I will feel good about donating it because it is wearable and someone may get use out of it. 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you looking on the bright size. I've just made gerties new look jacket and it emphasises the waist and I love it! Hope th next one is just right for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a bummer having the last project of the year be such a disappointment, but hopefully someone will get some use out of it at the Goodwill store.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...