The pattern called for only the bodice to be lined, but I lined the entire dress. I made the buttons out of polymer clay (one of my other interests) and was quite happy to not have to deal with a zipper.
I really like how this turned out and already wore it to a wedding reception. Here is a close-up of the buttons and inside the dress. I'd like to make this again with different fabric and work on the fit more. I had to try it on and take it off to re-do the hems multiple times to get it to fit better. I really needed to cut about a size 12, but I was paranoid about cutting it too small, so I figured a 14 would be better to cut. And if that was better, then a 16 would be fantastic. (it wasn't)
This was my first experience inserting boning into a dress. It really wouldn't stay up on its own without the support.
I had trouble with the ties for the straps. I can only really wear them together since I (apparently) didn't feel it was important to note the little circles on the pattern for when you should stop sewing the straps to the bodice. Mine are a bit lopsided. Still, I am going to call it a success.
LOL! i have the first pattern dress i ever made still waiting to be finished because i also thought it would be such a great idea to cut a bit big. I need to take in the sides now so i just hung it on my dress form for the last few months haha. i guess thats how we learnReplyDelete
I am happy to hear other people have the same experience with cutting the pattern too big. I had no idea how to read the pattern ease. Since I took the online sewing classes, fit is so much easier.Delete